This short round trip takes in the most important sights in the town of Eisenach and its forested surroundings. Climb the hills of the Luther Experience Trail, where the legendary Wartburg Castle looks down upon the town and then follow the wonderful hiking trails through beech and oak woods, through the western Thuringia Forest to the Rennsteig mountain trail.
At the highest point of the trip, you have an amazing view of the mountain from the Hohe Sonne site. On the way back to Eisenach, you traverse the well-known Dragon Gorge. At its narrowest point, where the ravine is just 68 cm wide, you can really experience nature up close and personal. You return to Eisenach through the picturesque Marien Valley with its imposing villas.
Finish your trip with a visit to the newly opened Luther House and immerse yourself in the history of the reformation.
Getting thereComing from the A4, take exit 40a towards ‘Eisenach-Ost’ and then continue on the B84 towards Eisenach. At the Eisenach-Oststadt crossroads, follow the B19 towards the city centre.
ParkingSufficient parking spaces are available at Eisenach railway station. Link
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentSturdy shoes, waterproof clothing, possibly a torch
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.