This round trip will give you an impression of the Thuringian Forest as it was hundreds of years ago – unspoilt nature and beautiful, varied landscapes that are seldom seen today.
You begin by following the Luther Trail south to Lake Altenberg. There you leave the reformer’s trail and turn east, taking in the peaks of the Thuringian Forest via the Rennsteig trail and returning back to the starting point.
Safety informationIn bad weather conditions, be sure to take protective, waterproof clothing and sturdy shoes. On sections between Hohe Sonne Castle and Wilhelmsthal, the Luther Trail goes through areas of forest that are actively cultivated. Be aware of forestry machinery and stick to the paths.
Tips and hintsCamping on Lake Altenberg
Rennsteig Trail Association (German only)
Getting thereFrom Eisenach, follow the B19 towards Wilhelmsthal.
ParkingThere are plenty of parking spaces at the Hohe Sonne site.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentHiking sticks are recommended.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.