During his stays in Weimar, Luther lived in the Franciscan monastery – today the University of Music FRANZ LISZT. On his last visit to Weimar, Luther stayed at Spalatin’s brother’s house – today known as the Lutherhof (Luther Courtyard).
In 1552, Lucas Cranch the Elder came to Weimar, following his Protestant sovereign into exile at the age of 80. Lucas Cranach the Younger finally completed the altar that his father had begun. The winged altar in the Church of St Peter and Paul is one of the most important artefacts of the Reformation.
Lucas Cranach the Elder lived at the Cranach House in Weimar for the last year of his life. Before he died, he founded a workshop and took on two apprentices. The house is a significant, listed Renaissance building and, along with two other buildings, makes up the entire UNESCO World Heritage site ensemble. The Weimar City Palace houses a Cranach gallery.
Apolda was first mentioned in 1119. This document states that Apolda is a settlement with two churches – St Martin’s, and St John’s Chapel. The chapel was pulled down in 1524 to build the castle; in the same year the town accepted the teachings of Luther.
The Luther Church dominates the cityscape of Apolda like no other. It is located in the centre of town on Melanchthonplatz square, is the largest of the four Apolda churches and is brick-built, which is unusal for Thuringian churches. Today the Luther Church is used for cultural events.
Rest stopsHotel Elephant, a luxury Collection Hotel - Weimar
Getting thereComing from the A4, take exit 49 (Weimar) and continue north through Gelmeroda towards the town centre.
ParkingPlease use the carpark at the main post office (LINK) or the one at the Weimar ATRIUM (LINK).
- 30 Waypoints
- 30 Waypoints