In addition to Bad Langensalza and Erfurt, one of the three Augustinian Monasteries was founded in Gotha. The Augustinian Monastery is one of the oldest in Thuringia. In the collection at Friedenstein Castle there are many artefacts from the Reformation era, including the panel painting ‘Damnation & Salvation’ (1529) by Lucas Cranch the Elder, who was a close friend of Luther’s. The subject of the painting refers to Luther’s thesis on the justification of sinners before God alone.
In Wandersleben we recommend visiting the Menantes-Literaturgedenkstätte (Menantes literary memorial) and Burg Gleichen Castle. From there the route takes you via Mühlberg to Holzhausen and Wachsenburg Fortress. It is also worth visiting the 1st German Sausage Museum, which features an exhibition on the history of the Thuringian sausage. Free samples are, of course, included!
In Arnstadt the Luther Trail splits and leads north towards Erfurt and south towards Paulinzella continuing to the federal state border with Bavaria.
Rest StopAusflugsgaststätte DÜPPEL - Seebergen
Wachsenburg - Holzhausen
Schellhorns Restaurant & Bar - Arnstadt
BEST WESTERN HOTEL ERFURT-APFELSTÄDT
Safety informationParts of the route cover long stretches of open country. Be sure to bring sufficient amounts of water and suncream during the summer months.
Getting thereComing from the A4 take exit 42 (Gotha). Continue on the B247 towards Gotha. Approach the castle from the southern 'Parkallee'.
ParkingA visitors' carpark is located just below Friedenstein Castle. LINK
EquipmentSturdy shoes, suncream
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.