From Luthergrund, this section of the Luther Trail takes you along the Rennsteig Trail through Brotterode to Schmalkalden with its Luther house and St George’s Church where Luther once preached. In the former vestment chamber above the vestry (today known as the ‘Lutherstube’), Martin Luther is said to have kept warm during the morning service when he stayed in Schmalkalden in February 1537. Today the room features pictures of plants on the ceiling and houses a small church museum.
Rest StopTurmbaude Trusetal
Chausseehaus "Zur Einnahme" - Bad Liebenstein
Pension Turmschlösschen - Brotterode
Safety informationThe route takes in a lot of the forest. Please observe the state of the path and the current weather conditions.
Tips and hintswww.brotterode-trusetal.de (German only)
www.inselbergbad.de (German only)
www.schmalkalden.com (German only)
Getting thereFrom the A4, take the Eisenach-Ost exit and follow the B19 into the town to the railway station.
ParkingSufficient parking spaces are available at the station.
EquipmentSturdy shoes, hiking sticks, weather-proof clothing
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.