“…no other town knows me better”, said Luther of Eisenach, the town of his school days and his later years and of Wartburg Castle where he translated the Bible.
Today Eisenach is known as ‘Europe’s Reformation Town’.
Rest StopHotel Glockenhof - Eisenach
Gaststätte Seeblick im Campingpark Eisenach am Altenberger See
Safety informationThe route is clearly signposted. Please follow the signs with the green ‘L’ on the white background. Ensure that you have sufficient sun protection as the first part of the route takes you over open country.
Tips and hintsAltenstein Castle website (German only)
Möhra town website (German only)
Wartburg Castle website (German only)
Getting thereBy car from the A4 take the Eisenach Ost exit and follow the B19 into the town.
ParkingParking spaces are available at the railway station.
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentSturdy shoes, hiking sticks, sun protection
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.